Tuesday, August 26, 2014

Internet Advertising.  How effective can it be?

I recently placed an order with Puritan's Pride for vitamins.  They have great deals, so I order multiples of each item to save money.  Makes sense, right?  
Sure!

What doesn't make sense to me is that ever since I placed that order, on every web site I visit, I see an ad for Puritan's Pride.  It makes me wonder what they're thinking.  Do they think that by inundating me with their ads for flax oil and red yeast rice, which I bought last week,  I'll buy another five bottles of each?  

I recently, purely out of curiosity, read an article about reverse mortgages and now everywhere I go, there's an ad for that, too.

This kind of marketing is like closing the gate after the horse runs away.  I for one am training myself not to even notice these ads.  It's amazing how easy that is.  It's a matter of focusing.  Anyone can do it.  Maybe when we all get good at this and they see that their marketing 'strategy' isn't working, we'll see a lot less annoying ads on the internet.

The worst ads are those that jiggle and shake to try to get your attention.  I just get the hell out of there when I see those.  There isn't anything I want to read badly enough to put up with that.

Have you noticed lately people - at least people in tv ads - are taking a tiny step back from technology.  I recently saw an ad for a big name pizza chain that advertised that you don't have to get onto the computer, sign in and order your pizza.  You can just walk into their establishment and pick one up! It seems they think this is a new concept.  We did that back in the 50's.

And this morning on the Today show, I heard that some musician, whose name I can't remember, made a new album On Vinyl, and it's gone viral. What's happening?  Who knows?  Maybe nothing, but I guess we'll see.

No comments:

Post a Comment