Tuesday, March 18, 2014


I've been pondering whether cable TV is going the way of the manual typewriter and the rotary telephone.  Our cable provider recently merged with another huge company which basically constitutes a monopoly, in this area at least.  Now the cable company swears that the $62 increase, from $135 to $197, immediately following the merger had nothing to do with these companies joining forces.  I'm having a difficult time believing that.

We're investigating alternatives for our TV reception.  There are a lot of choices out there.  These include indoor and outdoor antennae which are relatively inexpensive.  These antennae can be had for anywhere from $10 to $200 and can be installed with nothing more than a screwdriver.  There is no monthly charge; however, you may only be able to receive your local stations. Not to worry.  Go to HULU and for the small sum $7.99 a month, you can get the shows that your antenna doesn't pick up. Talk about saving money!  

There are satellite dishes, too, but in bad weather you may not have any service and in the case of snow, you have to climb up to wherever you mounted the dish and scoop the snow out of it.  There is also a nefarious company that requires a 2 year contract, gives you a fixed rate for one year and then triples your rate when that year is past.  Not gonna do that!

I wouldn't trade my cable for internet access, but I can definitely live without the TV connection.

--------------------------------------------------------

Update on the last post.  The utility company that raised every one's rates double and even triple, is now issuing refunds.  There have been more than 2,000 cases opened against the company with the Pa Utility Commission and this issue is getting a Lot of media and government attention.  It's a good thing.  I'm hoping the company involved will be prevented from selling energy in the Commonwealth of PA when it's all said and done.

--------------------------------------------------------

I'm not a believer in resolutions, but I do believe in intentions and goals and I've been thinking about what it is that I really want to accomplish.  First is to reorganize my work room.  (I never know whether to call it an office or a studio, so work room it is).  This is a huge job.  No kidding, insanely huge.  It will require moving many, many books to the shelves downstairs, giving many, many more away and moving a lot of craft supplies to the downstairs shelves as well.  

When my work room is organized, I plan to spend more time writing; also reading about writing.  Planning a novel or novella?  Maybe.  I have some stories started and a couple have the potential to be longer than the typical short story.  




2 comments:

  1. Thank you Colleen for helping me find your blog. You have plenty of interesting thoughts. I'll be coming to yu for help in setting up my own.
    I understand blogs build a following through word of mouth so I'll start by giving your address to the other group and encourage them to read and comment.
    On the present subject of tv and cable service, did I send you my poem about TV? I'll send it by email until you teach me how to add attachments to blog comments
    John

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Colleen for helping me find your blog. I may need more help as I try to start one myself. The subject of TV and Cable and satellites is near to my heart. I forget If I sent you my poem on the subject but I'll send it email.
    John

    ReplyDelete